We often find a lot of keyboard courage to do things in Social Media that we would never do face-to-face. Are you minding your Social Media Manners?
The Etiquette of complaining on Social Media
You enter an Instagram contest and WIN! Hoorah!
But you don’t receive your prize. So you DM the company a few times on Instagram with no response. What do you do?
We recently saw this question in our Facebook Group Instagram Posse and many responses saying “Shame them on Twitter”
No, No, No for so many reasons.
The Instagram contest sponsor should have a process to award the winner but…
- What if that person had a real-life emergency and is out?
- Your DM’s are most likely going to filtered messages.
- Often in large companies, Social Media is run by junior staff not fully up on the process or someone might have just dropped the ball.
Shaming the company on Twitter has very few benefits
(1) You may get your prize, but that company will most likely NEVER want to work with you if you are an influencer.
(2) Every time you post online on any channel, you are also presenting an image of your business … that other sponsors will view as well. No one wants to work with a short-tempered finger pointer.
What to do?
? Look up the contact on their website, preferably a PR contact and if not a general email, and send a polite email explaining the situation. You will have a much higher percentage of your email getting into an inbox (as opposed to spam/filtered messages) and companies usually have a more developed process for responding to emails.
The person receiving it will most likely have no idea of what occurred. So though you may be frustrated, all will have a better experience if you mind your social media manners. Consider the consequences before you use your Social Media channels to blast messages out to the public.
She transitioned her online marketing skills to become a popular travel writer & influencer with her website BlueSkyTraveler.com to have a travel lifestyle and "Blue Sky" possibilities.
Based in Austin, Texas she lives a Life Re-Imagined exploring the world in her version of the American Dream.